Friday, September 5, 2008

Executive Responsibilities and Experience

In high school civics we learned we have three branches of government to provide checks and balances: Executive, Legislative and Judicial. As I recall, the President of the United States is the head of the Executive branch of the government, responsible, like the CEO (chief executive officer) of a company, for the functions performed by the government. As I look at the the candidates in the presidential race, I notice these experience tracks:

DEMOCRAT
Obama clerk in law firm, community organizer, state legislator, US Senator
Biden ??, US Senator

REPUBLICAN
McCain military pilot, military officer, US Congressman, US Senator
Palin PTA, City Council, Mayor, state governor

I am thinking that there is no executive experience on the Democrat ticket, but I don't really understand the job duties of a community activist. I do see that McCain had some executive experience in the military after returning from Viet Nam. AND I see that Palin had some local town legislative experience and then two progressively more responsible chief executive experiences.

No comments: