Monday, August 25, 2008

Monday Morning Heart Warm

Anglican Pewster just alerted me to this heartwarming story about the 2008 bronze medalist Tasha Danvers:
Tasha Danvers chose her unborn child four years ago over her hopes for an Olympic medal. Now she has both.
In early 2004, Danvers appeared to be a good prospect for a medal at the Olympics in Athens. She was the sixth-ranked hurdler in the world. Then, she learned she was pregnant.

Danvers reportedly was pressured by some in the track and field world to have an abortion. She admitted later that she and her American husband-coach Darrell Smith briefly considered that choice.

"[T]he thought did cross our minds as an option," Danvers told the Telegraph, a London newspaper, in May 2004 before citing Mark 8:36. "But this line from the Scriptures kept coming into my head: 'For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world and lose his own soul?'

"For me, the whole world was the Olympics. At the same time, I felt I would be losing my soul."


Thank you to Pat Dague at Transfigurations for posting this story from Baptist Press and to Anglican Pewster of Not Another Episcopal Church Blog for alerting me to the post.

No comments: