Thursday, February 19, 2009

Hitchens Attacked in Beirut

Christopher Hitchens was beat up in Beirut after defacing a poster of the Syrian Social Nationalist Party. This group bases its flag on the Nazi swastika.


The poster was on an abandoned bagel shop. The Hitch wrote a vulgar epithet on the poster. And was accosted by a man whose job it was to watch the poster to be sure it wasn't removed or defaced. The man had texted for back-up and six more men showed up. Hitchens was on the ground, kicked and had his writing hand stomped.

Yes, I am a fan of Christopher Hitchens. I love his book reviews in the Atlantic Monthly. Yes, I know he wrote God is Not Great, and no, I haven't read it. Hitchens wrote a great piece for Vanity Fair on the long term effect of Ayatollah Khomeini's fatwa on novelist Salman Rushdie for The Satanic Verses, Assassins of the Mind. I also highly recommend his article in City Journal Jefferson Versus the Muslim Pirates

No comments: